WHAT IS A PSYCHIATRIC SERVICE DOG (PSD):
A psychiatric service dog (PSD) is a type of assistance animal that’s trained to perform specific tasks for individuals living with a mental illness. These unique tasks are directly related to the handler’s disability.
Most of us are accustomed to seeing guide dogs supporting those with physical disabilities like a hearing or sight impairment. However, a psychiatric service dog helps people with typically unseen, unnoticeable disabilities.
For example, veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) who experience panic attacks or anxiety can often benefit from the service of a PSD.
The rights of patients who are diagnosed with a qualifying disability and who are entitled to a PSD is protected under the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). Those rights include :
- Public Access rights
- Travel Privileges
- Fair housing and
- Educational Facility Access
The Department of Justice has guidelines and rules, but they are not always clear, and individual cases need to be discussed depending on your state and school.
NOTE THAT IRRESPECTIVE OF YOUR RIGHTS IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE THAT YOUR DOG IS APPROPRIATELY TRAINED AND BEHAVES WELL IN PUBLIC PLACES.
WHAT YOU MAY OR MAY NOT BE ASKED ABOUT YOUR SERVICE DOG:
The symptoms of mental disabilities are not always visible to others.
You could therefore expect a request for verification, especially when entering a place which does not normally allow dogs.
Under the ADA, the only questions a person or business may legally ask are:
- Is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
- What work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
No one has the right to ask you to identify your specific disability or ask that your pet demonstrate their skill, however, the Department of Transport does gives airlines the right to also request further certifications when flying with your pet. Make sure you follow all requirements and provide these certifications beforehand, as to allow for stress-free travel.
Free My Paws offers a convenient telehealth service with fully licensed and highly experiences therapist who can assist as your consulting therapist and to provide a Therapist Referral Letter from the comfort of your home.
A Therapist Referral Letter outlines the diagnosis that entitles you to a Service Dog or Psychiatric Service Dog and while it is not a requirement, it can also be helpful to identify your dog as a service dog with a service dog vest, and/or service dog ID card.
Some landlords could also have a specific form which needs to be completed.
Easy as 1-2-3
We are happy to bring this service to you within the comfort of your home.
- Complete your purchase online
- You will receive an Email with a link to the online diagnosis questionnaire, open the link and submit the form
- Once one of our registered therapists has reviewed your information, they will contact you to set a time for a phone interview.
- At the end of the interview, our therapist will make a diagnosis and if they estimate that you suffer from an ailment which would benefit from the presence of an Emotional Support Animal, they will produce the PSD letter.
- You will receive your PSD letter within 72 hours of completing your phone interview by email, in secure PDF format.
- Should your diagnosis not support an PSD, we will refund your purchase .
Your PSD letter is valid for 12 months. Please note that landlords may require a letter that is less than 12 month old.
|Free My Paws||emotional
|Over 8 Years in business, 5 Star Customer reviews||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|In state Licensed Therapists||Yes||?||?||Yes||No||?||?|
|Always speak to the same therapist||Yes||?||?||?||No||?||?|
|Price Includes housing, travel and airlines forms*||Where applicable||No||No||No||No||No||No|
WHY OUR LETTERS ARE UNIQUE:
- Our consulting therapists are all currently licensed mental health professionals (many others on the web use MDs or unlicensed therapists who are NOT allowed to provide these opinions)
Our letters are kept up to date with the latest changes to ensure they meet current landlord and airline requirements.
- Our Therapists are available to speak to authorities directly if live voice verification of diagnosis is required